Thursday, March 26, 2009

Weeks 10 - 11

Duane and I had a nice visit back east with family and friends. I picked up a bunch of maternity clothes, which I needed. I went shopping in Pittsburgh with my sister-in-law Diane. Diane was a big help picking out clothes that are more flattering to my body shape. We went to a couple stores and she ended up giving me some of her maternity clothes.

The main purpose of our trip back east was for a doctor's appointment. My body is creating a very high level of a hormone called gastrin. It only exists in two conditions: Atrophic Gastritis and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. I saw about half a dozen doctors in the west who where unable to determine which condition was causing the hypergastrinemia. This was mostly because it is rare.

I found a doctor at the University of Pennsylvania who is an expert on hypergastrinemia. My appointment went really well. The doctor thinks there is a low risk of the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, which is good news. I will have to go back after the baby is born and have a test done that will conclusively determine the problem. There are some conditions related to the Atrophic Gastritis that can effect pregnancy. So I have to go and have some tests done to make sure those are not present.

Last weekend I started to have some phantom cramping. I guess it is common for some women in the earlier stages of the pregnancy when the placenta is expanding. I also think that I might be having some PH issues as well.

I have noticed a fluttery feeling in my chest sometimes. When I went to the doctor in Philadelphia, he mentioned a pregnancy heart murmur. I just need to check with the obstetrician to see if the murmur could have any impact on the dilated left ventricle in my heart.

We go back to the doctor on the 30th and I am excited about hearing the baby's heart beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment